Mental Checklist for the Preschool Homeschool – Motor Skills
As a teacher, objective based education was the norm. Each lesson was planned via a ‘backward mapping’ process in which what the students were expected to be able to do by the end of the lesson was the primary focus. The objectives. I grew to hate the acronym ‘TSWBAT…’ It took me some time to figure out that it stood for, ‘The Students Will Be Able To:’ I hated, loathed, and despised posting objectives on my board every day. Mine was always a somewhat unconventional classroom in that the narrative of the lesson was the most important thing, and if the story took an unexpected turn that day… oh well… let’s learn something else instead. For English, as well as for Biology. No question was too hard for the class to find an answer to. Lesson plans always seemed more of a ‘suggested guide’ and rather than have a daily plan, I would prefer a weekly or monthly plan, leaving room for ‘exploration’.
Don’t get me wrong… I see real value in objectives. I think it is very important to have some form of ‘road map’ or the curriculum gets bogged down and goes nowhere. You have to begin with the end in mind. My classroom application, however well it worked well in high school in Australia, was not so much of a fit in middle school in the US. I received low marks in several reviews because I did not have a lesson plan to show my supervisor at the end of a ‘surprise observation’. Never you mind that all the other categories were checked off as ‘excellent’.
So I have come to the conclusion that, as good as I was as a classroom teacher, (and I WAS good… VERY good...) I don’t actually fit well in the current factory model of schooling, and might, in fact, do much better as a homeschooler in this day and age.
And I will still have objectives – but not so much as a list of items to be tested; more as a mental checklist for me to make sure that I do have an ‘end’ in mind for each unit of work.
Preschool is a little different in that there is no list of dates, facts and figures to be learned. Instead there is a series of skills and concepts that must be mastered if later learning is to be successful. And yes, later learning is not simply a list of dates, facts and figures….the learning of skills and concepts continues into adulthood. It’s just that there are more dates and facts and figures to learn later ;)
Over the next few weeks, I plan to outline my Preschool Homeschool Mental Checklists for Mum for a range of Objective Groups. This week is Motor Skills. Rather than try to plan lessons around each item (as one would for school objectives, sadly) this is more of a list to glance at occasionally and select a few items to focus on over the course of a week or so. Better yet, pick an activity that your child loves, go through the list to see what skills it hits, and then select a couple of extra skills you can extend the activity with. Be creative!
![]() |
| download link below |
Suggested Age Range – 2-3 (My 2 year old can do a lot of these. My 3 (nearly 4) year old can do all of them.)
Gross Motor Locomotor Skills
Hops
Runs/Changes DirectionSkips
Marches
Walks backwards at least 5 ft
Walks tiptoe for short distance
Follows a designated path
Crawls through a tunnel
Gross Motor Balance and Rotation
Jumps at least 6 inches both in the air and in distance.
Alternates Feet Down Stairs
Walks a straight line/balance beam
Stand on one foot for 5-10secs
Climbing (e.g. a slide)
Pedals a tricycle
Gross Motor Manipulative Skills
Kicks a ball forward
Throws a ball overhead
Throws underarm
Attempts to catch a large ball
Aims at a target
Fine Motor Skills
Clasps hands
Touches pointer fingers
Controls fingers individually
Demonstrates pincer control (picking up small objects)
Self Help Skills
Able to button a garment
Able to zip a zipper
Puts on own shoes (no laces)
Can feed self with spoon and fork
Can wash hands
Can get a drink
Uses toilet semi-independently
Scissor Skills
Handles scissors well
Cuts simple shapes
Writing/Drawing skills
Correct pencil grasp
Draws/writes with increasing control
Able to copy simple shapes
Draws and colours beyond a simple scribble
Other
Stacks 7 or more blocks
Pastes objects
Completes simple puzzles
Can pour from one container into another
You can download a pdf copy of this checklist here.
You might also be interested in:

Featured at:

Linking up with:

































































As important as motor skills are, I tend to focus more on gross motor skills because they are SO MUCH FUN! Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeleteLove this - pinning!
ReplyDeleteHi there,
ReplyDeleteI found you on the Thumping Thursdays Blog Hop. I am so glad I did. We are about to begin preschool homeschool and I am always so excited new information for us to use. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Karina
http://www.momintheusa.net
Hi Karina,
DeleteI'm fairly new at the homeschool preschool thing myself, but if you find anything here that helps you as you start your journey, I am honored to have been of assistance.
Thanks for this! Really, really helpful!
ReplyDeleteTina @ Mommynificent
So helpful!! Gotta pin this one!
ReplyDeleteVery helpful! I've pinned it!
ReplyDeleteOhhhh, yes, we had to use "TSWBAT" or "TLWBAT" (for "the learner will be able to") ALL THE TIME. Good motor skills checklist! Thanks for putting it together.
ReplyDeleteI think students should have an aim or goal for each lesson, but TSWBAT sends chills down my spine!
DeleteVery good information. It's amazing how different teaching is now compared to when I went through school.
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)
¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
Raising-Reagan.com
I love a good check list =) Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat list! I love how you used the little bodies to make the letters in the title. So cute!
ReplyDeleteYes, my teacher friends tell me that they don't like really having to be limited to teaching to the yearly testing. It limits their creativity and doesn't make an accurate reflection of what they've really learned as they are teaching to the test!
Thanks so much for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party! :)
Thank you for linking to Motivational Monday. this will be reuseful over the holidays. So much is planning these days isn't it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a useful list for all moms! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!
ReplyDeleteThank u for posting, we are starting our first year of preschool homeschooling this year and are greatful for this checklist!
ReplyDeleteThank u for posting, we are starting our first year of preschool homeschooling this year and are greatful for this checklist!
ReplyDeleteanaokulu malzemeleri,eğitici oyuncaklar ahşap oyuncaklar keçe oyuncaklar eğitim araçları ilgi köşeleri okul donanımları oyuncaklar satranç dama oyun evleriyoz puzzle akıl ve kavram oyuncakları duyu bütünleme oyuncaklarıteknolojik oyuncaklar tıkla sepete ekle okul toys eğitici oyunlar kreş oyuncakları anaokulu mobilyaları galoşluk spor grupları askılık portmantolar premium serisi mobilyalar dolaplar kitaplıklar kindergarten materials yengeç eğitim araçları anaokulu ve kreş okul öncesi malzemeleri https://www.yengecegitim.com/
ReplyDelete