Mental Checklist for the Preschool Homeschool – Social Development
Social Development was always my biggest concern when it comes to the idea of homeschooling. Having done my research, I know that there are many, many options for homeschooling families when it comes to getting their children out and about and mixing with others.
Knowing this, it is still a major concern for me. We don’t belong to any church family at this moment (not for lack of trying…it’s a long story) and we have no family in the area. We have developed relationships with a few people, but we really don’t have any families with children our kids’ ages with whom we’re in regular contact. I have heard that there is a rather large homeschooling community in our area, but I’ve no idea how to get ‘in’ if you know what I mean. They don’t advertise anywhere that I have seen!
But I’m working on it. We’ve started attending a local MOPS group, and I’ve plans to start using the new public library that will be only 10 minutes away (when it’s finished being built!)
In the meantime, my children have wonderful manners (when we’re out) and can both carry on conversation (Ada to quite an advanced degree, Ida less so…she only started talking at 2). They love to play with each other and other children whenever they have the chance, and make friends easily with kids of various ages.
We are still working on a couple of things in the list with Ada, and Ida (15 months younger) is coming along well in all categories… the paediatrician was impressed at our last well-child visit.
As with the Motor Skills Checklist, this is not a list to organize your curriculum around. Simply cast your eye over it periodically and make a mental checklist of what's going well, and what you'd like to focus on for the next little while. Incorporate learning into the activities your child already loves. I have found that conversation while working and playing is the biggest learning tool in our house. I live my life out loud with my children. As we shop, as I cook, as we even watch TV, we are always describing actions, asking questions and pointing things out.
![]() |
| Download link below |
Self-Awareness
-Demonstrates Personal Preferences
-Personal Information
-Knows gender
-Knows age and birthday
-Knows first and last names
-Identifies self by categories
-Knows home address and phone number
-Knows parents’ names
-Demonstrates emotional well-being
-Can be away from parents for 2-3 hours without being upset.
-Enjoys hearing stories about self
-Displays positive self-esteem and self-concept
-Demonstrates confidence
-Demonstrates increasing independence
-Develops appropriate trust in adults.
Develops self-regulation
-Follows transitions and daily routines
-Follows simple rules
-Expresses feelings through appropriate gestures, actions and language
-Demonstrates personal responsibility for self and possessions
-Follows self-selected plans for play
-Demonstrates respect for classroom property
-Asks for help when needed
-Connects actions and consequences
-Stays with, or repeats, a task
-Maintains concentration over time
-Accepts suggestions
Builds relationships with peers.
-Recognises feelings of others and responds appropriately
-Shows empathy
-Takes turns
-Helps others in need
-Engages in interactive play
-Shares and cooperates
-Initiates play situations
-Plays ‘house’ – imitates other children and adults
-Forms friendships
-Learns how to make and keep friends
-Enjoys making others laugh and being silly
-Gets along well with other children
-Talks easily
-Resolves conflict.
-Works with others to solve problems
Cooperates and Collaborates as a Member of a Learning Community/Family
-Recognises and accepts individual difference
-Participates as a member of a group/activity
-Uses social conventions
-Recognises authority
-Uses good manners
-Meets visitors without shyness
-Negotiates with others to change rules and suggests new rules
-Uses materials appropriately and puts them away
-Helps with chores
You can download a pdf copy of this checklist here.
You might also be interested in:

Linking up with:

































































Great list! I am pinning this to print later.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes worry about having lists like this...I don't want 'objectives' to be the focus of our learning (especially since they are only 2 and 3), so I don't look at them very often. I use them more add a guide for myself...am I providing my children opportunities to develop these skills. If they're not interested, do something else. That's my philosophy at this age. Play is the most important thing. I usually only break out 'schoolwork' when my oldest comes to me looking for stuff to do because she's 'boring' (her word).
DeleteI agree. I am not really going to be "homeschooling" my younger son in the traditional sense, but I do want to work on developing certain skills this year. This list and the motor skills list are really helpful because they can help me plan activities for him with his development in mind. Thank you!
DeleteWhen are they meant to meet all the things on this checklist?
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking with Motivational Monday
One thing that both being a teacher and having kids if my own has taught me, is that there are no hard and fast rules. This is more a list for me, to make sure I am giving my kids the opportunities to develop. That being said, these lists I am compiling are aimed at the 2-4 age bracket. My two and a half year old can do some of these, my nearly four year old just about has the list covered.
DeleteA great & useful list. I am so going to print this out. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYes,l it as a Pre-K teacher!
DeleteGreat list - thanks for linking at Family Fun Friday. Pinned. :-)
ReplyDeleteMonica
http://happyandblessedhome.com
I remember really have to work on those "social graces" with our youngest, because he was painfully shy. I wanted him to learn how to be polite when meeting people and not glare at them, lol!
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party! :)
What a great list for any parent--homeschooling or not. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!
ReplyDelete