Kids love puzzles. Sometimes a little too much. They're not only good for brain development, and fine motor skills, but they make GREAT teethers, and the boxes are great fun to use for indoor hopscotch.
Unfortunately, the indoor hopscotch isn't so good for maintaining the integrity of the box.
So what starts out looking like this...
...ends up looking like this.
Many of our small puzzle boxes have ended up like this, and got to a point where there was more tape than box. And the fixes don't last.
Also, we like blueberries, so I had a lot of blueberry containers that were too small to use for planting seedlings, and I felt guilty just throwing them out.
It just so happens that a small blueberry container is the perfect size for sorting a small 24 piece puzzle. They're pretty hardy; they're not appealing as hopscotch platforms; they latch closed, and don't fall open when you pick them up; they're not a big as the original box... perfect really. And they have a nice little window (after you've got rid of the label) into which you can glue a small cutout showing which puzzle goes into the container.
My kids love the fact that they're see-through. I love the fact that it inspires them to put the pieces away when they're done with the puzzle, and that they no longer jump on the boxes for fun!
So there you have it. Use the cardboard for doing other crafts, upcycle some plastic, store your puzzles, and feel like you've accomplished at least one small step towards organizing the kids' stuff.
Featured by:

Linking up with:









Great idea! Saw your post on the link up party at Serenity Now
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! This happens to us all the time. Pinning!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic idea ... we constantly have those left over cartons from blueberries and this is such a great way to "recycle" them!
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)
¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
www.raising-reagan.com
great idea...as kids all our game boxes were destroyed because one of our cat loved to use them as recliners!
ReplyDeleteNice! What a great way to reuse those containers too. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a fantastic idea!! I get fed up of broken and ripped boxes, I usually use zippy bags, Never thought of this
ReplyDeleteNatasha @ Serenity You
Great idea!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, this is just genius! I so need to organize our puzzles and this is the right size and I love that it is a green project!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
KC
What a great idea!! I may have to try this at our house. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!
ReplyDeleteSo true! Love this idea--thanks for linking up at Tender Moments with Toddlers & Preschoolers!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. I saw your link on Home Educator.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Janis Cox - www.janiscox.com Author of Tadeo Turtle
We always have empty blueberry containers going through our home each week. I could never figure out a use for them in our homeschool. What a creative idea! Thank you for sharing this week at our Hearts for Home Blog Hop!
ReplyDelete