Thursday, February 28, 2013

God's Little Explorers: God Creates a Garden



God Creates a Garden: an Exploration of the Letter G


God Creates a Garden

An Exploration of the Letter 'g'


Letter: g

Theme/Focus: The Creation

Memory Verse: Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,"

Song: My God is so Great
This song was a great choice, not only because of the g's in the title, but because it clearly speaks about God as the Creator, with lines like, "there's nothing my God cannot do," and, "the mountains are His, the rivers are His, the stars are His handiwork too!"



Nursery Rhyme: Mistress Mary
I really believe that nursery rhymes are an important part of early childhood education. I intend to write about that more fully at a later date, but suffice to say, I was always saddened, year after year, when a large proportion of my 8th grade English students barely knew what nursery rhymes were, let alone actually know any.

Introductory Activity: Planning a Garden
Planning a Garden
My seed catalogues from Burpee and Gurneys had recently arrived, so Ada (3.5) and I spent time looking through planning what seeds we wanted to get for the garden we are planting this spring. ("Not peppers, Mummy!") We then bought quite a few different seed packets at the grocery store when we did the weekly shopping. Ida (2) was pretty indifferent to much of this, although she enjoyed sorting the seed packets when we got home.

Bible Craft: The Symmetry of Creation

I have recently blogged here about this craft activity, including providing a downloadable template and links to the original chart that gave me the idea.

Collage: A Garden

Lots of fine motor practice picking and sticking tiny flower stickers to our lowercase g. I have a box of various stickers left over from my classroom days (you'd be surprised how well 17 year olds respond to the inducement of a sticker reward!) and was able to dig out some gardening and insect stickers as well.
The grass at the bottom gave opportunity for some scissor practice for Ada.

Letter Puzzle:

A great resource from Kathy, at Cornerstone Confession's Encompass Curriculum.  I modeled this off a neat (and free!) puzzle app on my phone, from Intellijoy. I traced around the G, then after cutting up the puzzle, I traced out the individual pieces. Ida (2) is becoming very adept at this kind of puzzle, and enjoyed the activity in real life as much as she enjoys it on the phone.


Cutting Practice:

I found a book called 'I Can Cut' (from Carson Dellosa) at Michael's. I am trying to match activities from the book with our weekly theme. This week, there was a 'Moon and Stars' mobile, which we tied to the Creation. Ada did fairly well cutting - what you see is all her own work. The best star I managed to rescue after she informed me she was cutting off the sharp points of the stars because they were, 'dangerous, and someone might get poked by them!'

Other Activities:

Alphabetti - Progressive Phonics
Dot Marker Letters: Confessions of a Homeschooler
Lapbook Pieces - Homeschool Share
Letter Maze: 1+1+1=1
Sea of Sound Phonics: Sparklebox

Note: We are following 'God's Little Explorers,' a free, Bible-based curriculum for preschoolers by Stacie Nelson, who blogs at motherhoodonadime.com

Last Week:
X Marks the Spot | an Exploration of the Letter X | Teacher@Home
Next Week:
Adam and Eve and the Apple

Featured by:
Itsy Bitsy Learners


Linking up with:

4 comments:

  1. I love how you focused on GOD for the letter , I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of that ;) Great ideas and thanks for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun! I love the theme you chose. Thanks so much for linking to Share It Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of going through the seed catalog with your kids. My guys are helping me plant seeds this year.

    Becky @ forthisseason.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing at Itsy Bitsy Learners!! We have also linked to this on our Letter G page and Gardening Theme page!!! We hope you'll continue to stop by our weekly link -up!! Allie and Co -x-

    ReplyDelete