Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cheap and Easy Storage Solutions | The Ramen Noodle Box Bookshelf


Ramen Noodle Box Portable Bookshelf | Teacher@Home
 One of the greatest gifts my parents gave me, after raising me to know Jesus as my personal saviour, was the gift of growing up without. After hearing the voice of God as clear as a bell in the pineapple field he was working in, my father went back to college with a wife, three kids, and a mortgage.



And God provided.

Not always in the ways you expect. Those were lean years. But I didn't know any different. I was 19 years old and doing a socioeconomics class when I called my mother to ask, "Mum, were we poor?" with a note of incredulity in my voice. We were always clothed and shod (albeit in hand-me-down clothes and shoes), there was always food on the table (my Mum packed out our meals with lentils and rice), our freezer was always full of bread (Dad would get up at 4am every Thursday to go to the local bakery and pay 20c a loaf for the old bread, before the local pig farmers came to pick it up for the pigs), we always had a houseful of people (usually foreign students with no family of their own), Dad put money in the plate at church every week, and the mortgage was always paid on time.

There is much more to that story but it was not really my intent to write even that much today.

Maybe someone needs encouragement in their lack. I grew up without all the things my friends had. Stayed behind at school because we couldn't afford the money for field trips. Wore faded school uniforms that been worn by three people before me. Only got a school photo every other year.  Listened to my mother ironing other people's clothes, our typing up other people's assignments late into the night. Never knew what a baby sitter was, because if Mum and Dad couldn't take us, they wouldn't go...no money for babysitters. Never had soda or candy but for special occasions. Birthday parties only for ages 7, 14 and 21.

But I was happy and content.  Because we had enough. And I thought everybody lived the way we did.

Don't fret about the effect being poor will have on your children. It is not the lack of things that damages children.  It is seeing their parents grasping for that which God has not given. God gives enough.

Being poor taught me to make do. To see use in things that others would waste no time or thought on.

Ramen Noodle Box Portable Bookshelf | Teacher@Home
Like a Ramen Noodle Box.  Ahh, the original point of this post.

The one luxury we did have, was books. Mum would scrimp and save for book club.  Not every month, but whenever possible.

Books.

My mother always said the world was going to sink under the weight of all my books. I've donated and given away many times over what I own now.

My children have a lot of books. Shelf space can be a problem. 



Those 8" square books get lost on a bookshelf. They're so thin, you can't see the spines between all the picture books.  And they get bent, and torn, and scrappy.

You know the ones. They cost $3.77 at Walmart.

And my kids LOVE them.



I want them to be portable (bedroom, to living room, to play/school room), and I want them to be visible. Not lost in a big bookshelf.

And then I bought the family box of Ramen Noodles from Aldi. (Yes, I feed my kids two-minute noodles. They love them, and they eat their veggies, so it balances out).

And my brain that learned to 'make do' saw potential. Because a Ramen Noodle box, and an 8" and smaller book collection are a match made in heaven. A perfect fit.

Just cover with construction paper (or paint or whatever), insert books, et voila, there you have it, a portable bookshelf for those flimsy books.



It's so easy the kids can do it. A great decorating activity.



 Cheap and Easy. (Not me, the bookshelf...I may be cheap, but I'm never easy...as my Mum used to say).




Linking up with:

The Sunday Showcase Raising Imperfection afterschool linky The Children’s Bookself Making your home sing Mondays The Chicken Chick Motivational Monday Montessori Monday Monday Kid Corner TheBetterMom.com Hope for the Home Covered in Grace miscellany monday at lowercase letters Tot School Tuesday Teaching Time for Toddlers Tuesday Toddly Mummy Preschool Powol Packets Hip Homeschool Hop Button Titus 2 Tuesday Abiding Woman a to zebra A Little R & R Wise-Woman-Builds What I Learned Wednesday Cherished Handmade Treasures Make Bake Create Where He Leads We Follow Welcome Home Wednesdays Domestic Superhero saving4six Weekly Creative The Homeschool Village Hearts for Home Teaching Mama Frugal Family 2013 HomeEducatorMom.com Link UP Thursdays I Choose Joy! All Things with Purpose Weekly Homemaking Party For the Kids Fridays at SunScholars.com TGIF Linky Party I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom The Life Of Faith Tickled Pink at 504 Main A Peek Into My Paradise My Turn (for us) Weekend Bloggy Reading I Can Teach My Child Teach Beside Me SharingSaturday Poofy Cheeks http://www.yourthrivingfamily.com/

21 comments:

  1. That is an awesome idea.. esp. for thin paperback books that I collect sometimes from library book sales. Thanks for sharing on Jenny's linky.
    -Reshama
    www.stackingbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! I just love to read your posts. :)
    --Gena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Gena. And thanks for the opportunity to link up at your blog!

      Delete
  3. It's always so rewarding to recycle "trash" in very practical ways. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!! We always end up with piles of books all over the place, this is a perfect solution, thanks!! ~Kelly @ Eyes on the Source

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant. I love that you do this because I have some empty boxes that store my stuff too, lol!

    I always stored my kid's books in dishpans or kitty litter pans. But that's because many of their books were heavy and needed something sturdier.

    When I was born we were poor. My mom talks about not having food or even peanut butter and stuff and a neighbor brought over a bag of groceries and peanut butter! One year my dad got our toys from the Salvation Army.

    But as I got older dad found a job and we were just very tight. I think that's how I learned to be frugal and I just didn't ask for things (beyond some pocket change now and then for ice cream) because I knew my parents didn't have the money with all us kids.

    We kids learned to make do, as you said! It's fun to be creative that way sometimes! Thanks for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I have two of these I will be re-purposing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were probably poor as children, but Mother never told us and we always had food and a few clothes that mother sewed for us. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did something like this recently IN my bookshelves to keep the books propped up and separated with the covers facing out so the kids could find the books they were looking for. :) I hadn't thought of a ramen box, though - much sturdier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know my husband told me the story of a little boy stealing the scraps of food at school and they stopped him eating them and it turned out he was being starved and he died - God provided him with enough but humans decided not to let him have it. Awful just awful.

    That book holder is a fantastic idea and a great use of resources.

    Thank you for linking up with Motivational Monday

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I have been looking for organization ideas to remake things we have for the new house. My kids are book lovers too and what a great idea since we will be splitting their book collection between their two new bedrooms (they shared before) and our new "library" room. I have one of these boxes in the cabinet right now and I bet they would love to decorate it and it would give them something fun to do while we are busy with all the painting this weekend. Going on the to-do list! :) Found you through the Coake Family link up and now following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I hope you find my posts useful (or at least marginally entertaining!)

      Delete
  12. I just wanted to let you know that I added your post to my "Favorite Friday" list today. Every week I pick a few blog posts that I thought were awesome and share the links on my blog.

    http://wifethenmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/strawberry-gleaning.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring my post! I'm truly honored...it's such a simple little piece of dyi...I'm not much good at fancy, just functional!

      Delete
  13. Smart use of those boxes. I hate to throw away good boxes...there always seems to be a good use for them. I love you last line...you and your mum have a good sense of humor : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea!!! I hear you about the lean years...they tend to make one more creative. I think that is one of the gifts of not having more than you need, you find creative ways to make life fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think each child may need his/her own mini shelf! Thanks for the idea. I was actually thinking it would be the styrofoam cup one that had 4 taller equal sides,lol.

    We buy Ramen at Aldi's all the time. Littlest likes carrots sliced in his:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. BRILLIANT!! We have the same issue. Thanks for the idea!

    I found you through the Ultimate Homeschool Pinterest Party. Glad you linked this up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea and great solution! Thanks for sharing some about your upbringing as well.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post! I have a bookself in my son's room that does not have a backing on it (it's from IKEA), and his books are constantly falling off the back. This could be a great solution to my problem. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete